Thursday, September 29, 2011

which Gospel do I share?

I listened to a volunteer share the gospel recently. While I'm excited that my volunteers are courageous and enthusiastic to share their faith, I was concerned about the Gospel they shared. He suggested to our student that Jesus would help the student be a better student, a better kid and find greater joy in life. Essentially, he confused two key theologies; justification and sanctification.
Justification is the point at which we are made right before God, applying the work of Jesus Christ to my sinful nature.
Sanctification is the process by which we are made more righteous before God, applying the work of the Holy Spirit to my sinful nature.
We cannot experience a true sanctification without the work of justification.
Justification makes us new. Sanctification renews us daily.
Justification takes us from lost to found, dead to alive, enemy to child of God.
Sanctification takes us from sinful to less sinful, me-like to Christ-like, worldly to godly.
Justification is the work of Christ on the Cross.
Sanctification is the work of the Holy Spirit in me.
My confidence is found in Justification.
My evidence is found in Sanctification.
Justification is about turning from sin and turning toward Christ.
Sanctification is about turning my sinful nature into a spirit-led nature.
Justification without Sanctification is arrogance.
Sanctification without Justification is false confidence.

We must preach a Gospel of Justification, of turning from sin and toward our Savior. We must avoid all the promises that come with sanctification until the person understands the promise of justification. Jesus is not an add-on that will make our life better, He is the answer that will bring us life. We must communicate a Gospel in which sin is not simply forgiven or overlooked but completely payed for by the blood of Jesus Christ. We must communicate our need for a Savior that has paid our penalty, not a spirituality that paves our way.

So... which Gospel do you share?

No comments:

Post a Comment