Saturday, September 3, 2011

Never lets go...

Early this week I went on a walk with my 3 year-old daughter. She loves it when I toss her up on my shoulders and bounce as we walk. While she giggles contagiously there is always just a bit of fear that causes her grab hold of my ears, eye sockets or the little bit of hair that I still have.
As I bounced and she grabbed I paused and said, "Baby, you don't have to hold onto me, I will hold onto you. You won't fall, I promise. I've got you. I love you. I won't let you go."
At this she let up her grip and put her hands out wide and said her her giggly, silly little voice, "okay!"

As I reflected on our walk and exchange I though about how this mirrors our relationship with God. He want to take us on a journey that is full of fun as well as fear. Yet, no matter how scary the journey might get, He won't let us go. Whether we squeeze and press in or throw our arms in the air... He won't let us go.

John 6:37-40 says,
"All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.”

John 10:27-30 says,
"
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one."

I was reminded of these verses yesterday at the funeral celebration of a boy in our church who took his own life. He loved Jesus and followed Him faithfully yet, in a moment of fear, let go. I thank God that He never lets go of us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment