Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Why do I do what I do?

Why do you do what you do?
Why are you a youth pastor?
When I was young it was fun.
When it became "work" it was challenging.
When I'd been at it a while it was familiar, simple.
When I'd been at it a long while it was a pay check.

I'm grateful that none of these would have been my primary answer at any point in my ministry. I'm grateful that when I think about ministry I don't contemplate a vocation but a calling. God called me to be a pastor a long time ago and that calling sunk in deep. I don't think I understood it back at the beginning... but looking back; it's unmistakeable.

Why do you do what you do?
It's probably a good habit to remind one's self regularly why we do what we do.
When parents complain, when kids wander, when tragedy hits, when we are tired and worn out, when we feel unappreciated, when we are tempted, when we feel stuck... it's the reminder of our calling that sets us back on track and empowers us to overcome the trials of ministry.

Why do you do what you do?

1 comment:

  1. A pastor once told me that when everything else falls apart sometimes the only thing that you have to hold on to is your calling. This is why I do what I do. There are times when it is a struggle, times when it's fun, and times when you just want to give up. But, I still remember that I've been called.

    Great post! Thanks for sharing and being so open and transparent!

    ReplyDelete