Saturday, January 28, 2012

Doctrine of..?

1 Timothy 1:3-5 ESV

As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus so that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine, nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship from God that is by faith. The aim of our charge is love that issues from pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.

If someone were to visit my ministry for a month, how would they define the doctrine they encountered? What would they believe to be the founding principles? What would they believe the purpose to be? What would they believe are our priorities?

Paul's charge to Timothy was to define his doctrine in principle and practice by faith and love. Is my church a place that encourages faith and models love? Is my ministry a place that is uncluttered by false piety, unrealistic expectations and exclusive community?

There is no one else charged with the mission of defining and defending the doctrine of my ministry but me, the pastor. I would do well to remind myself of this often. I would do well to evaluate our doctrine in principle and practice with regularity.

So how do you define your doctrine?

No comments:

Post a Comment